Wednesday 19 January 2011

Hala Hala Febrayer!!!

Hala Febrayer (Hala February) is an annual event that takes place in Kuwait during the spring time, February, every year.
Spring time, when the country is suppose to be full of greenery, Flowers & beautiful weather. Lame, the country hardly gets any rain, hence, there is minimal greenery, flowers are a rare site, and I don’t remember seeing any in a long time. The only thing good is the weather, it’s kinda cold, occasionally very cold. This is the only time when you can practically get out of your houses in the afternoon without worrying about the 50 centigrade heat outside.

They say that this festive season is a touristic attraction. Believe me people, this is no Dubai Festival or Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. I hardly see any tourists around. There is nothing extra ordinary happening other than on 25th & 26th Feb(National and Liberation Days), when people go wild, the gulf street is packed, traffic is at its worse and celebration means spraying foam at others(strangers) and dancing on the streets for the music blasting out of their car stereo and of course for some Kuwaitis 25th & 26th Feb has nothing to do with patriotism, it’s the time to visit Dubai or Lebanon and Disco.

However, the Govt has been trying to persuade the nationals not to flee this year as the country marks it 50th National day. 20th Liberation day and 5th year anniversary of Sheikh Sabah’s assumption of office.
Therefore, his highness the Amir(King) Sheikh Sabah has passed an order to grant every Kuwaiti National, a gift of KD 1,000 (US$ 3,500app, Rs 161,000app) and free food ration for 14 months(free food for people who are born rich).

There are approximately 1.12 Million Kuwaiti nationals which makes the total gift come up to KD1,120,000,000 (US$ 3,964,601,780 or Rs. 181,293,068,463.49). I know you probably are wondering what has our govt given us after 64yrs of independence. Imagine what you would do with that kind of money.

I’ve seen a lot of discussions since the announcement. Some say the money should have been used for a good cause, some are just jealous (like me) & some say why only to nationals(including me:p)? Why not to us?
Well I know 99% of the Kuwaitis are just gonna waste the money on a new phone or a vacation. But there’ll be that 1% who will put it to good use.

I wish I got that kind of money as a gift. I’d make a quick trip to India. Anyways I haven’t ever won housie in my life, where am I gonna get the luck to get free rewards like these.

Congrats to all the Kuwaitis and sympathies to those who wish even they got something.

BTW, wish you all Hala Hala Febrayer well in advance :).

1 comment: